Sex In The Comix: The History of Erotic Content in Sequential Art. (Tessa Luicart)
For this post, I watched “Sex In The Comix: The History of Erotic Content in Sequential
Art.” This documentary discussed early underground erotic comics, interviewed some important
names in the scene, and talked to a range of artists all the way from the USA to Japan. It talked
about how sex can be found in almost every genre, from purely erotica, to auto-bio, to horror,
especially in the present. As for the history of these comics, I’ll admit, it was a little
disappointing how little the documentary seemed to cover, and it seemed more focused on
interviews from creators. As for what it did do, though, it covered how erotic comics have been
around for longer than you might think, and that some of the first erotic comics from the USA
were made in the 1930’s, entertainment for a depression-era country.
Then, of course, it covers the Comics Code Authority, as anyone would have to when
talking about the history of any kind of comic. The CCA was a code made to censor comics and
what was found in them, as the media was usually thought of as ‘for kids’ and prohibited any
kind of “sexual perversion.” The response to this was just to move the sexual content somewhere
else, and in this case, to underground comics, a community that practically exploded with zines
and comic books in the 1970’s. The documentary also discussed how comics can, quite frankly,
be better than other erotic media, as the reader can play a part in the comic by filling in the
blanks in panel borders and actively using their imagination when it comes to what they’re
seeing on the page. This, along with being able to draw literally whatever the artist wants to or
finds hot, even if it's not very realistic means that comics can be very, very powerful. One of the
works that stood out to me was the artist Aude Picault, as her work seemed to be much more
down to earth than the others, whilst still being incredibly explicit.
https://www.audepicault.com/, Aude Picault Website
As previously mentioned, I was a little disappointed by this documentary. I went in
hoping to learn more about the nitty-gritty of the underground comics scene during the 70’s, and
while they did talk about it a little bit, it was nothing that I didn’t already know from being in
comic classes here at CCAD and my own outside research. I wanted to see more of the ins and
outs of everything, and instead it was a very surface level history. I was excited to learn more
about queer history in the form of comics, too, but the most I got from this documentary was a
quick discussion of AIDS and how that appeared in some people’s work. This doesn’t mean it
was necessarily a bad piece of media if someone wanted to learn about sex in comics, but that it
just fell a little flat for me.
There are some things I agree with from this documentary, of course, and some things I
found off putting. I agree with the idea that comics are so powerful, erotic or not, because of the
power of what a drawing can do. This ability to draw whatever you can think of benefits the
media in general, and is used to its fullest in erotic comics. As well as leaving space, both in the
literal and metaphorical sense, between the panel forces the reader to interact and fill in the gaps,
are strengths of the medium no matter how you use it. There were, however, some things in the
documentary that just didn’t quite sit right with me. During the documentary, the people being
interviewed were talking about how they used to get off on what they draw, which isn’t that big
of a deal. Of course, when you’re talking about sex in comics, that is to be expected. Some of it
was just... gross, the way the artists in this film talked about their own creation, and it didn’t
help that there were only two women, besides the host, that talked on the matter. There was also
an issue of censorship that came up, and some artists said that, since they were just drawings,
delicate issues like incest or pedophilia were alright to draw and discuss. I have to disagree with
this as some of the images that were in these comics, or storylines the artists talked about
making, were deeply uncomfortable, no matter if they were just lines on a page.
All in all, this was an alright documentary, although it left me with some questions, and
things I want to know more about. I want to know more about the queer facet of this comic
scene, more than just the AIDS crisis. I want a closer examination of this time in comics history,
more than just surface level stuff. I thought the way these people talked about their work,
recognizing how it’s seen as taboo or improper but still going, was interesting. While I still have
to disagree with some points- especially when it comes to some of the more sensitive topics- it
was a semi-informative documentary that worked to remind me how broad comics can be.


I have also watched this documentary on kanopy. It is interesting that they did mainly focus on the male gaze, especially with Robert Crumb's work. However, it was interesting that they did interview many artists from different geographical regions of the world. One artist in particular did say some problematic statements mainly referring that even thou incest, pedophilia, and rape are depicted in comics this is not as significant as if it were happening in the real world. This does bring to question of separating the work from the artist, and is it alright to draw as long as its not acted on in real life.
ReplyDeleteI have not seen this documentary yet, but this post was very informative! As another comics student I find the history of underground and erotic comics to be very fascinating. Some works being interesting commentary on society, at the same time I noticed a large trend of exploitative imagery/themes in these comics, particularly from the male authors within the genre. I really liked the way you described the power of comics in the way it can work in tandem with the imagination of the reader. As a comics artist I never particularly thought about the importance of the space between panels directly, but it really does contribute massively to the reading experience!
ReplyDelete