Palestinian Embroidery as a Labor of Love and Resistance (Camilo Velasco-Overson)

Comments

  1. This was a fascinating and informative read. I hadn't heard of tatreez before but from your essay I recognize how crucial it is to Palestinian culture, but also that it is under threat from decades of oppression. It would be horrible if these pieces of art and history were all lost to war. It is interesting how embroidery becomes a form of storytelling and means of preserving history through visually capturing information about its creators' lives. The delicate craft of tatreez is irreplacable by modern mass manufacturing, because machines lack the experience and dedication that goes into the Palestinians' work. I also enjoyed your point about art as a form of protest, and that tatreez involves more effort than what a westerner typically imagines protest to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this insight on Palestine and how art in it of itself is an integral part to the Palestinian culture. I think continuously regarding pieces of art as history is important, especially when the area it comes from is under threats of colonization. I'm happy that you reported on the tatreez so that no matter what, this piece of art wont be lost to the attack on Gaza.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shortened Trend Cycles: Their Effects on Art & Fashion

Drag as Art and Activism: Every Drag Performer is an Organizer (Blog Post #2 Camilo Velasco-Overson)

Art With A Message: Protest And Propaganda, Satire and Social Comment (Blog Post #2 Tessa Luicart & Tori Evans)